The song "Anybody Out There," by Nelly Furtado and K 'Naan has an upbeat rhythm and rhymes only in the chorus. In the first verse of the chorus, Nelly Furtado sings "I don't wanna be left, in this war tonight. Am I alone in this fight?
Is anybody out there?" I think that these lyrics were trying to say that there is this person struggling within themselves, like an inner conflict that only they themselves can solve. K'Naan than sings; "Somethin' bout Mary never won a pageant, never felt pretty, never looked like Cameron, Diaz was her last name, always been abandoned, keep you head up baby girl its your anthem, there goes Hannah, showin' off her banner, rocking that crown, making them boys go banannas, when your insecure about yourself it's a fact, you can point a finger but there's three pointing back. I can see her crying out yeah, is there anybody out ther,e?" This kind of got me thinking that this internal conflict is about self portrayal, like how she looks. I think that these two talented singers are trying to say that the way the media shows stars can lead to much insecurity within people. It almost seems like this girl wants to be exactly like a celebrity, but at the same time still herself.
Guys and girls can spend hours in the morning trying to decide what to wear. Have you ever wondered why? Has it always just seemed completely normal? I spend at least thirty minutes every morning picking out an outfit and doing my hair. I do these small things just so that I don't look bad, becuase I am so concerned of how the public will view me. Girls spend so much time in the morning putting on make-up, but I can't say I am not one of these girls. I do wear make-up, but at the same time I don't wear too much of it becuase I don't want to lose myself completely. I think that this is the same idea as what is sung in the song.
I have written many papers on my feeling toward this issue, becuase I feel so strongly about it. I hate what the media does, and how it makes girls feel less of themeselves. The pictures on front covers of magazines are so over edited, like who cares if the person is ugly, they still mean something. This can cause girls and guys to feel so badly about themselves, leading to suicide and depression. Companies literally apply their make-up all over a celebrities face as a way to get people to buy their product. Is that really worth low self esteem? I don't think so. I don't think there should be such a big focus on pretty or ugly, it's just disturbing how much people care. I love the message both songwriters share with the world in their song because truly, it's not worth reinventing yourself just for the public.
Awesome Post, I loved the song you picked and the message you extracted from it. It's true, the media does make girls feel insecure and lesser to those who are advertised, in magazines and on T.V. and in movies, and it's a terrible thing that really ends up affecting how people, children and adolescents in particular, view themselves. I loved how you analyzed the issue and I feel like you really withdrew the message. Great Job!
ReplyDelete