I am currently reading,"The Disreputable History of Frankie Landau-Banks" by E. Lockhart. My protagonist, Frankie is an academically strong tenth grader. She attends Alabaster Prep, a very expensive and well known Boarding School. Her father, Senior, and older sister, Zada both attended as well before Frankie. Alabaster Prep just recently morphed into a coed school, but while still keeping "The Basset Hounds." A private, as well as secret group consisting of all males. Frankie's senior crush, Matthew is a member of this group, and is admired by all the teenage girls. Her father, as she comes to realize, was also a participating member 20 years ago, but whenever she asks about it he shakes the idea off and starts on something new. This secret idea intrigues Frankie, and she begins to become very consious and curious of her surroundings.
The author is trying to convince the reader that girls can be just as powerful, and secretive. She does this by having Frankie hack into The Basset Hounds system, and command all the members to do certain activities. All of the boys, including Frankie's senior boyfriend Matthew, believe they are getting these orders from their headmaster. The Basset Hounds is one of the most sacred and prized clubs of the school, so it is quite an accomplishment to be able to rewrite the meaning of this group. Lockhart shows how smart girls are completely capable of being, and how sometimes young men think they are so much better. Throughout the story you really get into Frankie's head, and hear her thoughts about not letting her senior boyfriend, Matthew control her. She shows how much she wants to be her own person, with her own mind.
I really really am enjoying this book. I love the way Frankie is just so confident in her own body, and is not afraid to show these guys a piece of her mind. I have always been a shy girl, and as I have grown some of it has dissolved, but not enough to make me able to gain Frankie's spirit. She is so independent, with this fierce attitude and passion towards life. For example, when Frankie goes for an apology lunch with her ex-boyfriend, Porter, he begins to tell her she should be careful with Matthew because he is two years older, and part of this group. In response she snaps,"Why does the way I look make you think I'm suddenly going to let someone take advantage of me? You never used to think stuff like that about me. I never let you take advantage of me." This attitude really inspired me to think about stories I have heard in life about girls being demeaned by the boyfriend, and to make me want to do something about it.
Great Post Sarah! This book sounds amazing, and I loved your analysis of Frankie. She seems like a girl willing to take risks, and really put herself out there in order to defend herself. Kind of a contradiction, right? I loved your connection to your life, how you felt you had been a shy girl yet some of it has dissolved, yet you still feel like you could never be like Frankie. You'll get there one day soon, don't worry buddy, we'll help you <3 <3 Amazing post!
ReplyDeleteThis is really good! A lot of books talk about girls in situations where males abuse them either mentally or physically, as a way of spreading word about girls standing up for themselves. But rarely are there books that actually show girls standing up for themselves. Your message was really clear. Great post!!! <3 Marya
ReplyDeleteThis is absolutely amazing Sarah! I really want to read this book now! Lots of times, girls always let boys control them and make decisions for them and they just go along with it. This character sounds like she has a mind of her own and really wants to get that message across to boys. Love ya! <3
ReplyDelete