Thursday, March 14, 2013

Inspirational Love

The idea of love is effulgent, and excting, but doesn't always fulfill your want in the end. So many people worldwide fall head over heels, and it may seem fascinating at the beginning, but sometimes you fall further than intended. Romeo starts the play with a broken heart over the character Rosaline, whom we are never introduced to, and are allowed to wonder or infer their relationship and what happend. He is sad, and distraught, and is mad at the idea of love. His friend, Mercutio forces Romeo to attend the Capulet's party -which they do not have invites to- saying that Rosaline will be there, all dressed up in full beauty. Knowing this he attends, but is quickly introduced to Juliet who he falls in love with after one sighting, and immediately forgets about Rosaline. That night, Juliet and Romeo decide to be married by "the hour of nine" the next day. The two of them are falling for each other so fast that there is a large percentage they could fall too far, and struggle getting back up. In Romeo and Juliet, I am so happy they both have Friar Lawrence to inspire them in an ethical view.

In Romeo and Juliet, not much about Romeo's family relationship is really discussed. You see glimpses of care when he dies in the end, and when Romeo is so sad, but the interaction between him and his parents is almost never shown. Realizing this, I am so glad that Romeo has such an inspiring adult in his life, such as Friar Lawrence. At the beginning of the movie we watched, I thought the Friar was actually his Uncle because the relationship or bond between them was so strong. I find him to be such an interesting charcter because he cares so deeply for Romeo, and is forced to make these decisions for the good of him, but also for the greater good of the town. For example, in Act 2 scene 3 Friar says, "O, she knew well. Thy love did read by rote, that could not spell. But come, young waverer, come, go with me. In one respect I'll thy assistant be, for this alliance may so happy prove to turn your households' rancor to pure love." Romeo says, "O, let us hence. I stand on sudden haste." Than Friar says, "Wisely and slow. They stumble that run fast." I found it very interesting how he so clearly and quickly showed to Romeo he wanted what was best for him, as well as Verona. He almost seemed to be contradicting his thought, showing Romeo that he was hesitant about his wish to marry Juliet.

To feel so passionately for one person is a feeling that couldn't be found in anything else. It lifts hopes and dreams, and breathes life right in. It's so exciting and thrilling when you really find that one true love, that it can persuade you to do anything. However, I think it's important to have that one sensible person in your life, that can help inspire you in the right direction. That one person that will let your heart go, but make sure your mind is still fully there and aware of the consequences that could potentially come.



3 comments:

  1. This is really good. I agree on how you think that Romeo is going too fast and that it is going to bounce back on him later. You used great evidence from the play to support your answer, great job.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a great post! I also think that it is ok that to stumble a little in life and let ourselves get caught off guard. But it is important that we have one person like Friar Lawrence to keep us straight, and guide us through the rough patches. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sarah this is an amazing post. I also thought Friar Lawrence was a really complex and interesting character. You backed up all your points and I can totally understand how he just wants the best for Romeo and Juliet. Really good!! <3

    ReplyDelete