I am currently reading "This Lullaby," by Sara Dessen. In this book my protagonist Remy is seventeen years old, and with just a week into her summer after senior year of highchool she is planning her mothers fifth wedding. Her mother is a writer, who started from nothing but quickly made it into the big league selling novels about romantic tales that mostly take place in NYC. Remy has three best friends; Lissa, Chloe, and Jess. Lissa just got dumped by her "soulmate", Chloe is not the commitment type, and Remy is in a relationship with Johnothan, but trying to figure out how to get out of it. She has an older brother, Chris, who used to not have a care in the world and didn't know anything, until he met the love of his life, Jennifer Anne. Their mother considers her a "piece of work." Remy doesn't want to be anything like her mother, she is infact completely disgusted of how marriage is just another toy to her. Even though I am not very far a long in this book, I dispise the mom, and I can totally see where Remy is coming from.
Parents are supposed to be inspiring, they are suppsed to be the ones you always look up to, the ones you can call your role model. Or at least that's what I believe. Remy's parents split when she was young, and the death of her father followed shortly after that. Before he died he wrote, "This Lullaby," which was a song about Remy, that hit off as a world wide sensation. There is not much she can remember about her father, so it is important that her mom is true to her, except shes not. Remy's mom throws around men, and writes. Those are the two things in her life, and Remy and Chris aren't there. This is absolutely horrible to me. The mom almost treats her two kids like they are one of her puppies that will do anything for her. I just want to say, "Wake up Lady! Remy is going off to college, and Chris is graduating from college. They are getting ready to start their life without you in it." In the book Remy says, " I am my mother's buisness manager, therapist, handyman, and now wedding cordinator. Lucky, lucky, me." This thought was totally outraging to me. Those jobs are not jobs that family does for you, they are jobs complete strangers do, not to mention that none of these jobs have anything in them that is close to love. It's simply buisness.
If I had a mom like that, I would not put up with it. I think that just this beginning of the book has taught me to let people know how you feel, and not just think it. Even though Remy doesn't say what she thinks it has still taught me this because I see the mom every day just getting away with how terrrible of a mom she is. She barely talkes to Remy unless its about the wedding, and if that it is only about two minutes. She has no idea about Rem'y life. I mean I know more about it, and i'm just the audience not the family. The mom sits on her old typewriters for hours, just writing away not caring to check in on either of her kids. If I was Remy I would be so done with it all, and I probably wouldn't plan my moms next wedding either.
Sarah this was absolutely amazing! I like how you said that Remy's mother treated her kids like puppies. I feel like often teenagers or kids are accused of taking advantage of their parents but honestly, some parents take advantage of their kids. I agree I would not put up with it. I feel sorry for Remy because maybe she feels like she can't defend herself. I have read other Sarah Dessen books and I feel like a lot of times the protagonist is stuck in a situation that he or she does not know how to get out of. Great post!!! <3
ReplyDeleteI think this is a really strong post, and really well thought out. I could definitely see where you and Remy were coming from. You did a great job proving your point. It's horrible that her mom does these things to her children, like they are things you can toss away and replace easily! Remy's mom needs to live in the present and use what she has already, not throwing things aside. You are a really good writer Sarah!
ReplyDeleteLike Hannah said, I think this is a really strong post. You added a lot of voice and opinion, which I really enjoyed. It made the post more interesting. I hvaen't read the book, but I don't like the character of the mom from what you describe her as. This seems like a really good book! Great job! <3 Sydney
ReplyDeleteThis is really good! I totally agree with you when you said that parents are supposed to be your role models. But what if they're bad role models? Sometimes kids just turn out to be bad people like their parents. You have to be strong in order to see their faults and try to change it, and that makes people really brave. Great post!
ReplyDelete