I am currently reading "To Kill A Mockingbird," by Harper Lee. My protagonist Scout is a young girl growing up in Maycomb just trying to figure out what kind of girl she is. She is caught in the stage of a tomboy with her dirty overalls or a girly girl with her pigtails and long, white dresses. I know that seems stereotypical, but it is the way Scout is portrayed by her family. She does not have a mother, and her brother Jem, and father Atticus, seem to be the only members of her family that do not care. Scout however, trys to hold her head high. Her father is one of the lawyers in Maycomb, and is assigned on a case to defend a negro, which is what they call a black person in the South. This doesn't help to Scout's problem because most citizens of Maycomb think of black people as slaves, and nothing more, they believe that negros don't deserve to be defended in trial. At school, and all over the neighborhood Scout and Jem are constantly being antagonized by the citizens saying; "Your father is a nigger-lover."
No matter what color anyone is, there is no reason to judge them like that, everyone deserves a fair trial. What did a black person ever do to you, what makes them different from the rest of us? The answer is, nothing. They are the same as the rest of us, so there is no reason or explanation as to why they are treated that way. So what if they are a different color, i mean to them we are also a different color. In "To Kill A Mockingbird," Scout and her brother and father go to her aunt's house every christmas, and up at their house is the one and only Francis. Not to be rude, but he has a serious attitude problem. Anyway, that christmas occurs right after Atticus decides to defend the negro Francis says to Scout; " Grandma says it's bad enough he lets you all run wild, but now he's turned out a nigger-lover we'll never be able to walk the streets of Maycomb agin. He's ruinin' the family, that's what he's doin'." I think that is absolutely nuts, there is no reason a black person, or any type of person should be thought of that badly.
People need to be treated equally, no matter what race. When I walked into a middleschool for my first tour, one thing that always catched my eye is what type of race there is the most of. I never realized that it is bad to look at something that way, until a year or two ago, but a lot of the time people are identified by their color, as well as schools. After reading this book I realized that the way I looked at schools was really bad, and I defentitely want to try to not do that while touring highschool. There is no explanation for the way I looked at middleschools, and I feel terrible about that becuase it really doesn't mater what race they were. The personality makes the person, not the skin color.
This is a really meaningful post Sarah. I've read this book and I agree that the racial discrimination that goes on is heartbreaking. The book is so detailed that you can picture every minute of it. I really loved your connection! I think everyone is a little judgmental sometimes. People feel connected to people of their own kind or in this case, race. But the truth is that a person is a person. It doesn't matter what they look like. Great job!! <3 Pia
ReplyDeleteThis is really good! Lately, I've been reading a lot of books where a character is guilty and tried in court. People automatically assume that is they are being tried, they are guilty, even though a person is innocent until proven guilty, according to the law. This judgement is the same thing that your character is going through, and I can really see how much emotional destruction this can cause. Great post!!
ReplyDeleteThis is a really good and thought provoking blog post. I really like how you were honest when you added your personal experience. I also totally agree with you on how life is like that in our society we do judge not because we're bad people ,but because that's how we look at someone. I been reading a lot of books similar to the book you blogged on theme. I think even though it's kind of hidden in society discrimination is still there. No matter what we try to do it's still there. I am not going to say I don't discriminate because I think everyone at one point in their life made an assumption based on race or color.
ReplyDeleteawesome blog post!!